37 Things You Didn’t Know About Me
YFS here and I have a surprise for you. I’m going to give you a bit more about my personal life. I’m going to be on a weekly podcast with some of my other personal finance peers, and I realized this being anonymous stuff is boring. I also realized that I’m faux anonymous anyway. All my friends, co-workers and associates know I have a blog. Hell, in a radio interview about my article on poverty I disclosed my real name.
Here is the link to the first episode of the podcast: The worst of the freefinancialadvisor podcast
I come in around the 36 minute mark. I highly advise you to listen to the whole podcast but, I know you want to get to the good stuff.
Time to pull the curtain back and reveal the brains behind Your Finances Simplified.
- I’m a Capricorn, ENTJ personality, and an only child.
- I got married at 24 years old to my college sweetheart.
- I used to be a huge video game fanatic. I had every game system from Atari all the way up to PS3.
- I used to play World of World Craft.
- I like to debate! I used to argue any point with anyone. Until, I read the book “How to win friends and influence people”.
- I am the coolest Nerd you know. Trust me, I am.
- I’m very athletic and competitive. I’ve played a sport since I was 6 years old. I’m a runner by nature with freakishly long arms. I’m 6’1 and 182 with a muscular build.
- I believe your health coincides with your wealth. What’s the point of making money if you have to spend all of it supporting your bad health decisions?
- I can dance… Very well. (No I can’t teach you how to Dougie).
- I can repeat word for word the movies Friday, Next Friday and Friday After Next.
- I love comedies and jokes.
- I’m very outgoing and find comfort in any situation from the barber shop to a gala.
- I use to have ADD. I say use to because I had selective Attention Deficit Disorder. I can focus intensely on financial topics or things of interest, but when I’m bored I just can’t focus. Funny, I haven’t taken any medication since sophomore year in college and my attention span is just fine. I guess it’s all about doing what you love and loving what you do.
- I love love love music. I can find a song to represent any mood that I’m in.
- I have a fear of failing. Fortunately, this fuels me to prepare for all situations. I would say I have a fear of being inadequate as well, which motivates me to do the things I need to do to become successful. This motivates me to go the extra mile.
- I sleep roughly 2-5 hours a night. The rest of the time I’m working on projects or chipping away at my to do list.
- I tend to plan for everything and focus on efficiency.
- I can’t stand messy clothing stores. Have you ever walked into the mall and took a glimpse into a Forever 21 or something like that? How in the hell do they find clothes on those racks of clothing mess?
- I prefer loafers, oxfords, and boat shoes over sneakers.
- I workout roughly 5x a week. Generally, I run in the morning followed up by a weight lifting session at night.
- I’m a man (I’m a boy Damien! #KatWilliamsVoice all my Friday After Next fans know what I’m talking about). A lot of people when they see my name on paper think I’m a female.
- I have over 30 bottles of fairly expensive (this is relative) cologne, which I shuffle through regularly. I like when my wife says “Damn you smell good babe.”
- I used to have braids or cornrolls. Whatever your prefer. The weird thing is I had to get them done every week or every two weeks because they needed to be fresh. Funny, my wife used to braid my hair… hmm quality time?
- I’m black, but you probably realized this from my affection for the literary works of Friday, Next Friday, and Friday After Next. Oh, and the conrolls thing probably gave it away.
- I no longer have cornrolls. Sorry, but I wanted a damn real job and a brush cut it is.
- I get my hair cut or shaped up ever week like clockwork.
- In a job interview I was asked what my weakness was, and I said my inability to grow facial hair. We all laughed and yes, I got the job.
- I can’t grow facial hair, but I get stubble so I still have to shave, lol.
- I prefer value and material quality over the name brand.
- I want the ability to retire at 40, but I will not retire at 40.
- I want a luxury car but, refuse to get one until we reached our financial goals (see #30)
- I prefer button downs and polo’s over t-shirts.
- I’m 80% jokes and 20% serious. I believe you should have fun along the way.
- I smile a lot, eat out 4-6x a month, and meticulously track my expenses down to the penny.
- I believe a family without a spending plan is a family without a plan. How can you get to where you’re going if you don’t know where you are? It kills me when I ask people do you budget, and they say no. But you’re asking me to cure your financial problems right?
- I’m not frugal…not in the slightest. For things I care about, I buy the best value I can buy. For things I don’t care about, I buy the best value I can buy. You won’t dare catch me making my own toothpaste, cleaning supplies or laundry detergent. Nothing against people who do, but I value my time more than anything. I tend to focus on big gains rather than small gains. I know, the pennies add up to dollars, but I would rather watch the C-notes first and get down to the pennies later.
- Last but not least my name is Dominique. Not Dominick. You can remember me by either thinking Dominique Wilkins, Dominique Dawes (yea yea yea I know) or the song “Dominique” By The Singing Nuns. But, please please please don’t associate me with Dominique Strauss-Kahn.
Wow, this list got out of hand really fast! I could have gone on and on, but let’s stop at 37. Maybe I’ll finish this up later but you know enough about me now. So here are a few pictures of what Mrs. YFS and I look like. Don’t forget to check her out at www.shoeAcidal.com.
So, now that you know a bit more about me, what I sound like and what I look like. Stay awhile and check out some of my most popular posts or leave a comment on one of my more recent posts.
Call to action!
Leave a comment telling me what you really thought I looked like before seeing the pictures. I want you to be brutally honest! (You get points for humor)